The Portrait Conference ( TPC ) Terms and Conditions 2019
1. The competition is open to all Australian’s who have been a citizen or resident for at least one year prior to the TPC closing date, 25th of October 2019.
2. Entrants of the open and amateur categories must be over the age of 18 years.
3. Minors may enter the amateur category only with the consent of a parent or guardian. A consenting parent or guardian is bound by these Terms and Conditions as if they were the entrant.
4. Open - The open category is open to Professionals who earn a full time or part time income from photography. The open category will have three sub-categories Portrait, Wedding and Newborn
5. Amateur - The amateur category can only be entered by people who earn under $2000 per year in income from photography, income, and prizes from winning photography competitions is counted as income. The amateur category will have three sub-categories Portrait, Animal Portraits, and Travel / Street Portraits
6. Entry forms and entry fees must be received by TPC by 23.59pm on the 20th of October 2019.
7. The Entry Fee is AUD $25.00 per image. There is no limit to the number of images that can be entered. There is one free entry for every five entries – so enter five images and only pay for four. Enter 10 images and only pay for eight and so on.
9. To enter, you must upload your entry(s) via our website: www.theportraitco.com.au, following the on-screen instructions carefully.
10. Each Entry must be entered into a category, entrants may enter all their entries into one category, or several subcategories as long as they qualify. Please read points 4 and 5 for clarification.
11. The judges are looking for a professional standard of presentation and a highly creative approach or treatment. A brief comment for every image will be supplied from the judges. This will be a generic comment and will be designed to instruct less successful entrants as to what aspects of the image they can improve and work on. It is provided in good faith.
12. Entrants must upload their Entries as digital files via www.theportraitco.com.au and comply with the following specifications:
- Adobe RGB colour space, 8-bit.
- Measure 3000 pixels on the longest side.
- Be saved as a JPEG at a setting of 9 or higher.
- Winning Entrants must also be able to provide a high-resolution digital file suitable for printing if required.
13. Entries toTPC2019 – must:
- be a photo of a human being or animal .
- be an original work owned by the entrant.
- be a still, photo-based image.
- be photographed after August 2016.
14. The highest scoring images of the three subcategories for the open and amateur categories will be contacted after the 28th of October 2019.
15. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the overall open and amateur categories will be contacted after the 28th of October 2019.
16. All entrants can login to the website and see their scores after judging has been completed. All entrants who score a Gold, Silver or Bronze will be able to download their image with the appropriate emblem.
17. The top 30 scoring entrants will gain free entry into the TPC print competition that will be exhibited and judged at the close of TPC Conference on the 13th November 2019. If an individual has more than one entry in the top 30, they will be asked to choose the one they wish to enter into the print competition. It is our aim to have 30 individuals in the print competition.
18. The top 30 scoring entrants to the print competition will be notified and asked to supply a high-resolution image, which will be printed by Kayell Australia.
19. The 30 finalists in the print competition will be invited to attend the winner’s announcement on the evening of the 13th November 2019 at Peninsular C, Shed 14 – Central Pier, 161 Harbour Esplanade, Docklands VIC 3008
20. Judging will be blind. No names or other indicators are allowed in or on the entry that could indicate who is the author of the entry.
21. Each entry will be scored by 3 separate judges. The organiser reserves the right to replace the nominated judges should the need arise.
22. The judging process is as follows:
- Each entry will be judged in its subcategory and the judge’s scores will be averaged to produce a final score.
- The entry with the highest final score within each subcategory will be deemed the sub category winner. Then the top 10 scoring images in each sub category (30 Images from open and 30 images from amateur) will be re-scored to produce the overall winner’s 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the open and amateur categories.
- In the case of a category tie, the judges three individual scores for each entry will be added together to produce a score tie calculation. The entry with the highest score tie calculation will be deemed the winner.
- In the event that entries in a category are still tied at the end of the judging process, those images will be re-judged to produce a winner.
23. There are two categories: Open and Amateur
- Open category has three subcategories: Portrait, Wedding, and Newborn
- Amateur category has three subcategories: Portrait, Animal Portraits and Travel / Street Portraits
24. The top scoring images from each of the subcategories will win:
LaCie 16TB 2big 2-Bay Thunderbolt 3 & USB-C RAID Array valued at $1500
The overall winners of the Open and Amateur categories will win:
- 1st Prize: $7,500.00 cash.
- 2nd Prize: Nikon D850 Digital Camera Body.
- 3rd Prize: Epson P800 A2 Desktop Printer.
The winners of the Print Competition will win:
- 1st Prize: Epson SureColor P9070 44 Inch Inkjet printer.
- 2nd Prize: Nikon D850 Digital Camera Body.
- 3rd Prize: Epson P800 A2 Desktop Printer.
25. Additional non-financial Gold, Silver and Bronze Merit Awards will be awarded based on the averaged 3 voting scores as follows:
Gold for scores of 90 - 100
Silver for scores of 80 - 89
Bronze for scores of 70 – 79
26. Winning Entrants must agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
27. The decision of the Organiser is final.
28. The copyright for all images entered inTPC will remain the property of the entrant, but it is a condition of entry that the entrant or their representatives agree unconditionally that TPC and Kayell Australia may reproduce any works, free of charge, for the purposes of marketing, promotion, discussion and education in direct connection with the TPC. The TPC also reserves the right to reproduce selected images free of charge for core non-commercial purposes, for example in the past competitions page of the TPC website, indefinitely, as a public record.
29. The entrant warrants that the work submitted is original and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party and that he or she owns all rights and interests in the work submitted. The entrant will indemnify and keep indemnified TPC and Kayell Australia against any claim by a third party in relation to the work.
30. Entry fees and prizes are quoted in Australian dollars. The Organiser does not account or have any liability for any participant's bank fees and charges that may be levied in currency conversion and currency transaction by the participating bank or institution. Prizes are paid in AUD. Currency conversions to local currency are at winners' discretion and expense at the time of conversion.
31. Entry receipts for the competition are stored in your TPC account tab online. Your purchase receipt will be listed there.
32. There are no alternative prizes available for prize winner’
33. The judges will determine the winning entry in each sub category and overall If the Organiser cannot contact a winning entrant by email within a reasonable time, the judges may award the prize(s) to another entry.
34. It is also a condition on entering the competition that the entrant agrees that visitors to the print competition are permitted to take photographs of their work for personal, non-commercial use during the running of the print competition.
35. Those not eligible for entry are employees and Judges and Speakers of TPC, Kayell Australia, and their agents, friends and family.
36. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence can be entered into. Entrants should be aware that all works are judged on an equal and anonymous basis and that there is no segregated judging by region image type.
37. TPC reserves the right to disqualify any piece of work if the entrant has not adhered to the rules, even if the work has been selected for exhibition.
38. All entries are subject to the laws of Australia and the state of New South Wales
39. All terms and conditions are subject to change without notice, with the exception of the copyright and licensing terms